Category Archives: Landmarks

Old Churches of Fairview

Submitted by Devonna Edwards St. Johns Anglican Church on Kempt Road At one time the worshippers were called to service by the ringing of a bell in the church. The bell had an interesting history as it was one of

Earlier Schools in the Fairview and Surrounding Areas up to The Present Day

Submitted by Devonna Edwards Three Mile House School Without the aid received from the Colonial Church Society, a permanent school would not have functioned at Three Mile House School. The school had several grades and only one teacher to teach

The Halifax Municipal Airport – Also called the Chebucto Road Airport

Submitted by Devonna Edwards In the newspaper dated September 1928, it announced that the Bluehill Farm property was chosen for the site of the new Halifax Municipal Airport. The west-end site consisted of 60 acres, occupied by a number of

No. 6 District Depot (Chebucto Barracks)

Submitted by Devonna Edwards The Depot opened in November 1941 on the northern section of the Municipal Airport Field which was then undeveloped land. Today that area is known as Saunders Park on Chebucto Road, extending to a point where

The Provincial Penitentiary

Submitted by Devonna Edwards It was located one-half mile from the city of Halifax, on fourteen acres of land overlooking the eastern shore of the North West Arm, close to Point Pleasant Park. Today that site would be on Inglewood

Rockhead Prison – Also known as City Prison

Submitted by Devonna Edwards The prison was located one mile north of downtown Halifax, on a high hill above Africville and overlooking the Bedford Basin. It was situated at the corner of what is now Leeds Street and Novalea Drive

Devlin’s Pond in Fairview and the Polio Epidemic in the early 1950s

Submitted by Devonna Edwards Devlin’s Pond was located on Melrose Avenue; between Melrose Avenue and Sunnybrae Avenue in Fairview, just below Alex Street. The pond was named after John Devlin who owned property there in 1921 until at least 1927.

The Old Tannery and Area

Submitted by Devonna Edwards The Old Tannery was located three miles from Halifax, on the Bedford Highway. A Rock Quarry occupied the site after the Tannery business closed out. Today a car dealership stands on the site. In 1796 John

St. Patrick’s Home

Submitted by Devonna Edwards Located on Mumford Road. The first St. Patrick’s Home for boys opened on October 2,1885 on the old Murphy homestead, known as Pleasant Valley Farm. The property, owned by John Murphy, contained forty-eight acres, between Dutch

Geizer’s Hill or Geizer’s Mountain

Submitted by Devonna Edwards Geizer’s Hill or Geizer’s Mountain Today the areas location is described as the top of Main Avenue and Washmill Lake Drive. Years ago the lower part of Main Avenue was known as the Duke of Kent