Category Archives: Landmarks

The Old Tannery and Area

Submitted by Devonna Edwards The Old Tannery was located three miles from Halifax, on the Bedford Highway. A Rock Quarry occupied the site after the Tannery business closed out. Today a car dealership stands on the site. In 1796 John

St. Patrick’s Home

Submitted by Devonna Edwards Located on Mumford Road. The first St. Patrick’s Home for boys opened on October 2,1885 on the old Murphy homestead, known as Pleasant Valley Farm. The property, owned by John Murphy, contained forty-eight acres, between Dutch

Geizer’s Hill or Geizer’s Mountain

Submitted by Devonna Edwards Geizer’s Hill or Geizer’s Mountain Today the areas location is described as the top of Main Avenue and Washmill Lake Drive. Years ago the lower part of Main Avenue was known as the Duke of Kent

Susie’s Lake and Quarry Lake

Submitted by Devonna Edwards Many will remember hiking back to either of these lakes for a swim on a hot summer day. Years ago, before the Bi-Highway was built in 1958, we would head up to the top of Main

Fairview Middlemore Home

Submitted by Devonna Edwards Located in Fairview on the Bedford Highway. It was situated on a high hill next to the Rock Quarry (now a car dealership occupies the site.) In later years the Harbour Lights Hotel (1948), the Wandlyn

British Home Children Monument

Submitted by Devonna Edwards Located on Marginal Road by Pier 21 in Halifax. The unveiling of the new monument happened on July 6, 2019. Over 130,000 British Home Children were brought from England to Canada as Child Labour between the

Flooding of the Fairview Underpass – Today known as the Fairview Overpass

Submitted by Devonna Edwards The Fairview Underpass and surrounding area endured many years of flooding. The Underpass formerly referred to as the Fairview Bottleneck was one of two entrance to and exit from the City of Halifax. A culvert diverted

The Fairview Post Office

Submitted by Devonna Edwards The Fairview Post Office was located on the corner of Main Avenue and Titus Street. Today a KFC occupies the site. In 1931 Bert MacDonald’s family established and operated the Fairview Post Office. Lillian MacDonald was

Gold in the Hills of Fairview

Submitted by Devonna Edwards Gold Fever strikes Halifax in earnest! “Gold in Halifax Suburbs” that was the headline in the Mail Star newspaper dated January 18, 1898. Alexander Taylor strikes it rich on Geizer’s Hill (Main Ave.) at the Dutch

The Peninsula Road and Blockhouses 1749-1761

Submitted by Devonna Edwards The Peninsula Line of Defence was a chain of outposts on the isthmus separating the Halifax peninsula and the elevated mainland to the west. The colonial authorities erected three small stockade forts, where the soldiers were