Welcome To Our Community

Fairview, a community in Halifax (HRM), Nova Scotia, is a unique and diversified community that has a strong dedicated group of individuals focused on preserving the past and promoting the future.
What’s the story behind the picture above?


Become A Member

Your Membership In The Fairview Historical Society
Helps Us Meet our Community Goals and Membership Is Only $5.00 Per Year!

Thanks To Our New and existing Members for renewing or becoming a new member of
The Fairview Historical Society

You can still become a member by eTransfering $5 to fairviewhistoricalsociety@gmail.com



YouTube Videos

Watch Fairview History


Watch videos on Youtube of Fairview history.
Watch Them

Featured eBooks

Memories Of The Deal Family

Researched by Wayne Kelly and written by V.C. Deal, this 66 page PDF eBook is a true narrative of memories was compiled as a true tribute to the late Stanley and Gwendoline Deal and dedicated to their many descendants.
Read It Here

Featured Articles

Old Roads and Streets of Fairview
The history of the roads and streets in Fairview, past and present....
Read More
Nova Scotia Cotton Factory and The Factory Girls That Worked There
The Nova Scotia Cotton Manufacturing Company was a cotton mill located on the corner of Kempt Road and Robie Street in Halifax....
Read More
Fairview Legion Branch 142

The Fairview Legion is located on the corner of Hillcrest Street and Main Avenue. The idea to start a legion in Fairview all began in October of 1951 when...
Read More
How Bayers Rd. Got It’s Name


In the Halifax City Directory 1912 to around 1934 it stated that Bayers Road commenced at Oxford Street and ran west to Dutch Village Road...
Read More
Jones Hill

Located in Fairview, on Dutch Village Road (today that part of the road is renamed Joseph Howe Drive). Jones Hill was a large hill on property owned by...
Read More
Monument To Unidentified Dead

On one of the mass graves of the unidentified dead, there is a monument. It is at the rear end of the Fairview Cemetery, close to Bayers Road...
Read More
Wartime Rationing 1939-1945

A 1940s newspaper advertisement for War Saving Stamps depicts a housewife dishing up supper to her children. The youngsters smile with enthusiasm as the mother declares to the readers...
Read More
Through The Gates Of Hell And Back

John O'Brien relates: "Our ship moved out to sea, behind the main convoy that carried our Regiment and others of the First Canadian Division. On the third day out the loud speaker announced we were on our way to attack Sicily"...
Read More
Ashburn Golf Club

The course was played by Babe Ruth, Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien, U.S. President Bill Clinton, Gordie Howe and professionals...
Read More
Andrew Downs Zoological Gardens

The Zoo was located on Dutch Village Road, today known as Joseph Howe Drive. Andrew Downs was a naturalist, taxidermist and zoologist who...
Read More
Memories Of Three Fairview Seniors

The interesting lives of three Fairview seniors, Lorraine (Daine) Rozee, Ann (Veniotte) Tattrie, John Hurst...
Read More
The Mi’kmaq (formerly known as Mic Mac) In The Fairview Area
Chief Lonecloud married seventeen year old Elizabeth Paul and they had four daughters and two sons. Lonecloud’s father Abram, joined the Union Army when the Civil War began...
Read More
Fairview People Gone But Not Forgotten

“Oscar Sandoz did not do espionage”
There was a rumour among some people in the Fairview area, during World War Two, that...
Read More
Dairy Farms

Dairies listed in the City Directory for 1909 in the Fairview and surrounding areas...
Read More
Fairview Youth Center and Fairview Phillies Baseball

On Sundays between the hours of 1-5 p.m. the Legion Centre hosted an average of 70 youth members and...
Read More
Old Churches Of Fairview

Read about the history of Fairview churches past and present...
Read More
Earlier Schools in the Fairview and Surrounding Areas up to The Present Day

Many would have gone to, and are going to, this comprehensive history of Fairview schools past and present...
Read More
Halifax Municipal Airport – Also Known As Chebucto Road Airport

In the newspaper dated September 1928, it announced that the Bluehill Farm property was chosen for the site of the new Halifax Municipal Airport...
Read More
No 6 District Depot (Chebucto Barricks)
The Depot opened in November 1941 on the northern section of the Municipal Airport Field which was then undeveloped land. Today that area is known as...
Read More
The Blue Caps Women’s Softball Team – Fairview 1930s

The Blue Caps Women’s Softball Team was composed of 15 year old Fairview girls. At home, they played on...
Read More
The Provincial Penitentiary
It was located one-half mile from the city of Halifax, on fourteen acres of land overlooking the eastern shore of the North West Arm...
Read More
Rockhead Prison – Also Known As City Prison

The prison was located one mile north of downtown Halifax, on a high hill above Africville and overlooking the Bedford Basin....
Read More
Devlin’s Pond in Fairview and the Polio Epidemic in the early 1950s
Devlin’s Pond was located on Melrose Avenue; between Melrose Avenue and Sunnybrae Avenue in Fairview, just below Alex Street...

Read More
The Old Tannery and Area
the old tanneryThe Old Tannery was located three miles from Halifax, on the Bedford Highway. A Rock Quarry occupied the site after the Tannery...Read More
Plane Crash In Fairview, 1953
Two airplanes, a Sea Fury and an Avenger, collided over Fairview with a deafening roar on April 9, 1953...
Read More
Constable Charles Russell Fulton
Constable Charles Russell Fulton, was Halifax Police Department’s first police officer killed in the line of duty....
Read More
St. Patrick’s Boys Home
Located on Mumford Road. The first St. Patrick’s Home for boys opened on October 2,1885 on the old Murphy homestead, known as...
Read More
Geizer’s Hill or Geizer’s Mountain
geizers hill, fairview nova scotiaToday the areas location is described as the top of Main Avenue and Washmill Lake Drive. Years ago the lower part of Main Avenue was known as...
Read More
Susie’s Lake and Quarry Lake
Many will remember hiking back to either of these lakes for a swim on a hot summer day. Years ago, before the Bi-Highway was built...

Read More
Both Fairview Signs Now Up
The long awaited "Welcome to Historic Fairview" sign is now up by Shoppers Drug Mart on Dutch Village Road.

Read More
Fairview Middlemore Home
Located in Fairview on the Bedford Highway. It was situated on a high hill next to the Rock Quarry (now a car dealership occupies the site).
Read More
British Home Children Monument
Over 130,000 British Home Children were brought from England to Canada as Child Labour between the 1860’s and the 1940s.
Read More
Flooding Of The Fairview Underpass

The Fairview Underpass and surrounding area endured many years of flooding. The Underpass formerly referred to as the Fairview Bottleneck was...
Read More
The Fairview Post Office
The Fairview Post Office was located on the corner of Main Avenue and Titus Street. Today a KFC occupies the site. In 1931 Bert MacDonald’s family...
Read More
Deals Of Fairview
The Deals were among the very first settlers who came to the Dutch Village (Fairview) in 1751. Dutch Village was originally called “Deutsch Village...
Read More
Gold in the Hills of Fairview
Alexander Taylor strikes it rich on Geizer’s Hill (Main Ave.) at the Dutch Village (Fairview).

Read More
Fairview Volunteer Fire Department
The Fairview Volunteer Firefighting Unit began in 1940 during the Second World War with the establishment of the Air Raid Patrol (A.R.P.)...
Read More
Fairview Senior Volleyball
In June of 2016, the Fairview Aces Senior Volleyball Team of 1954-1965 was inaugurated to the Maritime Sports Hall of Fame....
Read More
W. D. Piercey
William Drysdale Piercey was born in Dutch Village, Halifax County, Nova Scotia on June 9, 1877, son of Charles E. Piercey and Eleanor Jane Drysdale...
Read More
Peninsula Road and Blockhouses
The Peninsula Line of Defence was a chain of outposts on the isthmus separating the Halifax peninsula and …
Read More
Titus Smith Jr.
In order to tell the whole story about Titus Jr. I have to talk about his equally interesting father- Titus Smith Senior...
Read More
Bayer’s Lake Mystery Walls
A dry-stone wall (no mortar was used in its construction) was discovered several years ago during an expansion of...
Read More
Duc d’ Anville’s Armada

Duc d’ Anville’s Mighty French Armada sailed into the Bedford Basin in 1746 lookin for revenge of the loss of Louisburg.
Read More
The Bedford Basin

The Bedford Basin, known for it's convoys, has seen explosions, log jams, even a number of sea monster sightings...
Read More
Fairview Cove and Bert Cooper
Fairview Cove was a beautiful place before the government railroad cut up the area for its tracks in the 1850s. The Cove remained a popular swimming spot...
Read More
The Railway and Fairview

The Railway played an important part in Fairview’s history not only visually but years ago, many people who lived there depended on it for their livelihood.
Read More
Halifax Explosion


The Halifax Explosion December 6, 1917 and how the Sister of Charity from Mount St. Vincent Academy helped on that terrible day.
Read More
Fairview Little League
In 1970 Little League Baseball made its debut in Fairview and it was a very exciting day for players, coaches and fans.
Read More

Contribute

Tell Us A Story

Have a story that would add to the history of Fariview? Contact us with the details and/or pictures at: fairviewhistoricalsociety@gmail.com