Fairview Historical Society Articles Archives
Fairview Little League Baseball
By: Don Edwards
In 1970 Little League Baseball made its debut in Fairview. The ball field (Piercey Field) was a rough, pebble infested infield without the benefit of grass. The field is still there today and another field is at the opposite end and there is a soccer field that is situated next to the playground as well.
The league still thrives today, first called the Fairview Little League then, the Halifax West Minor Baseball Association now it is under the umbrella of the Halifax Minor baseball Association. Children from Fairview, Rockingham, Armdale and Halifax play in different divisions such as Mosquito, Pee-Wee, Bantam and Midget.
|The following is a 1970 newspaper article:
“Little League Makes debut in Fairview“
The sports community of Fairview is engaging in another new project for the youth of the area.
|Sweaters and caps were provided for each team with the sponsors name attached to each sweater for $80.00. Registration is free and all umpiring is volunteer, which is a credit to the Community. Equipment has been donated and operating costs for the season will be obtained through bottle drives and car washes.
Nine of the teams are coached by players of the Fairview Midget Baseball Team. The games are held every Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday evenings. Four games take place every Sunday.
Don Edwards, an avid promoter of youth, stated that “Baseball on a minor level such as this builds character and this sport keeps the kids active, involved and participating in something worthwhile.
Anything that we can do for these kids we try to attempt it, because the youth need all the breaks they can get.”
|The bagpiper was Allan Cant who lived on Birch Street and gladly accepted our invitation to play his bagpipes. He marched in front, leading the first Fairview Little League Parade, unaware of the distance that the parade route was to undertake. The parade started on the field in back of the first Halifax West High School at the bottom of Coronation Ave. It then turned left at Birch Street, over to Frederick Avenue and continued up the long, very hilly road to Piercey Ball Field.
Allan trooped on like the soldier he was, leading thirteen ball teams (165 kids) and coaches, all the while playing his bagpipes until they reached their final destination at the top of Frederick Avenue.
It was quite the site to see and an amazing feat for a man who was in his 50s then.
Opening day Photos
More About The Bagpiper – Submitted by Weldon Cant, son of Allan Cant
Allan Cant was the son of Pipe Major James Cant, and was a member of the Scotia Branch #25 Pipe Band in 1945. He was pictured in a photo of the pipe band at that time. He also became the Pipe Major of the Halifax Rifles Pipe Band, which his father had founded. This band played at the funeral of Angus L. MacDonald, Premier of Nova Scotia, and in 1955 took part in the March of 100 Pipers at the Official Opening of the Canso Causeway.
After the Second World War, the Canadian military was further reorganized with active regiments being disbanded, reduced to militia status of combined into new units. The Halifax Rifles (old 63rd) were reduced to reserve status and maintained a pipe band until 1968. The Pipe Major was Jim Cant, 25th Battalion veteran of the First World War. His age forced him to relinquish the appointment to his son Allan, although he continued to play in the band and teach piping in the Halifax area.